What is Genning?
Genning is the term used to refer to generated pokemon, or otherwise obtaining pokemon not caught through legitimate means.
How is this useful?
Genning allows you to create perfect pokemon in a matter of minutes. You can obtain legitimate perfect pokemon, but it takes days to weeks worth of work.
Anything else I should know?
The tool we used to Gen pokemon is called PKSM. With this tool, you can generate, clone, and modify any Pokemon. You also get free storage for extra pokemon, up to 30,000 Pokemon. With PKSM, you don’t need to buy the Pokemon Bank subscription and you will get more storage as well.
Where do I start?
Your 3DS will need to be capable of running homebrew software. If your 3DS is not currently capable of running homebrew software, then you will need to enable it. Visit 3DS.Guide to get started. Before taking any actions on your 3DS, be sure to read the entirety of the page, making notes of any warnings or important information, to make sure you install the Homebrew Channel correctly. If unsure, the the community at discord will be more than willing to help you.
Open the Homebrew Channel, then select PKSM from the list of homebrew software and target the Pokemon game you wish to modify with the D-Pad and A.
Once PKSM is launched, it will ask you to select the version of Pokemon you wish to modify again. Do so using the D-Pad and press A to select. This must be the same version you targeted when launching PKSM. The Physical Cart always has priority over the Digitally Downloaded copy.
- If it says Game not found, then you need to make sure you copy all files in the PKSM folder to the 3DS folder of the root of your sd card.
- If it says Incorrect Size, power off the console and relaunch PKSM, making sure to select the same target BEFORE and AFTER launching PKSM.
- You may need to select PokeBank to get older versions to work without giving you one of the above errors.
- You can avoid this hassle entirely by installing the .CIA version of PKSM to your 3DS.
The instructions are always on the top of the top screen and the bottom of the bottom screen.
Select Management, then:
- Pokemon Editor to edit Pokemon
- Extra Storage to access the Bank.
- Mass Storage to inject a bunch of pokemon into your boxes.
- Pokemon injected this way will overwrite any pokemon stored in the pc, starting with Box 1. Move them to Extra Storage to prevent losing these pokemon.
- It will tell you how many boxes will be replace at the top of the bottom screen.
- If you want to quickly fill the PokeDex and obtain every pokemon, select Living Dex from the list and press Start.
or Select Events to inject event pokemon into your game’s Mystery Gift
Save Management and Bank
- You can increase the Bank by press B until you are back at the screen where you can select Management, click the gear in the bottom right of the bottom screen, increasing the number to 1000, then clicking on the number 1000. The easiest way to increase this to 1000 is by decreasing it to 1, then decreasing it once more so it wraps around to 1000.
- To backup your save, press B until you are back at the screen where you can select Management, click the gear in the bottom right of the bottom screen, then tap Backup Save. You can also do this for the Bank. The save is automatically backed up anytime you edit any pokemon and save the game afterwards.
- You can access your backed up saves from 3DSDataPKSMbackup<Folder> where Folder is S_ plus the date and time of when you made the backup. The Main file is your save file.
You have 2 choices for editing Pokemon.
A) Using Pkhex (Perferred due to better legal checking)
- Backup you save (instructions above), then opening the save with a tool like Pkhex.
* Continue to the tutorial for using Pkhex.
- To save all boxes, click Tools>Data>Dump Boxes, then click yes.
- To save individual pokemon, click File>Save PKM, give it a name, and click save.
- Now grab servepkx.jar from here and run it. Java must be installed to run servepkx. You can also run it from the browser here.
- On your 3DS, launch PKSM, go to Management, then Pokemon Editor, and Press Y. The IP Address of the 3ds is displayed at the bottom of the bottom screen.
- Type in ip address of the 3ds and press Confirm IP Address.
- Click Select .pk6/.pk7 files and select the pokemon you wish to send over. You can hold Ctrl and click on multiple pokemon to send them in batch, then click open when you have selected all the pokemon you want to send.
- Click Send .pk6/.pk7 files. Wait patiently until you see the message that says the following files have been sent with the list of the pokemon you selected earlier.
B) Using Pokemon Editor Pick a pokemon you want to edit by pressing A. You will have the option to Edit, Clone, Release, and Generate.
- Edit will let you edit the pokemon’s Level, Nature, Ability, Item, Shiny, Pokerus, OT (original trainer name), Nickname, Friendship level, stats (both IV/EV and Hidden Power Type), and Moves. Press Save to save or B to discard changes.
- When editing moves, the list of moves will be on the top screen. On the bottom screen, tap on the slot for the move you want to edit. On the top screen, press L/R to change page and use the D-Pad and A to select a move. When you are done, press B.
- You can give the pokemon any variety of moves, however, if the pokemon cannot legitimately learn that move, you cannot use it in online battles or online trades.
If you do so anyways, you will get banned.
- Some held items will prevent the pokemon from being traded online if the held item cannot be obtained in your version of the game. Remove the item and you can then trade the pokemon.
- Clone will let you clone the pokemon to another slot. Selecting this option will turn your cursor blue. Use the D-Pad to select a different slot and press A to overwrite that slot with the cloned pokemon.
- Release will let you erase the pokemon. Selecting this option will ask you to confirm your action. Press A to erase that pokemon or B to cancel. If you make a mistake, press B until you are back at the screen where you can seelct Management, press start, and press B to discard changes.
- Generate will let you create a pokemon. Selecting this option will allow you to pick a pokemon from the top screen. Press L/R to change pages and press A to select a pokemon to generate. Pokemon generated this way will overwrite any pokemon in that slot. You can generate on an empty slot to avoid overwriting any pokemon.
If a pokemon is red, that means the pokemon is not legal for online battles and trades. Sometimes this will falsy declare it is illegal when in fact it actually is. This is why we perfer the Pkhex method above. You cannot use it in online battles or online trades.
If you do so anyways, you will get banned.
Once you are done making changes, press b until you are back at the screen where you can select Management, then press Start to quit. Press A to save changes or B to discard changes.
Start off by opening your save file by going to File>Open, then selecting the Main file. On the right side, you will see a dropdown that has all your boxes. Select the box you want to manage from this drop down as shown below.
Now click and drag a pokemon as shown below.
On the Main tab:
- If you want to make the species(pokemon) shiny, click the next to PID so it changes to . If you want to unshiny the species, click Reroll to the right of the PID.
- If you want to change the gender of the species, click the gender icon between the PID box and the Reroll button.
- If you want to change the species, select a different species from the dropdown manu for Species.
- If you want to change/give the species a nickname, check the nickname box and give it the nickname you want in the nickname box.
- If you want to change the species level, you can do so by typing in the desired level in the level box. You can press and hold CTRL then click on the level box to max the level of the species.
- If you want to change the nature, then select a new nature from the dropdown.
- If you want to change the held item, then select a new held item from the dropdown.
- If you want to change the friendship level, type in the level you want. It ranges from 0 to 255, 255 being max likability. You can press and hold ALT then click on the word Friendship to toggle between min and max.
- If you want to change the ability, then select a new ability from the dropdown.
- If you want to change the language of the species, then pick a new language from the dropdown.
- If you want to make the species an egg, you can do so by checking the Is Egg checkbox. The friendship level will change to a hatch counter, where you can define how close the species is from hatching. You can select any number from 0 to 255, 255 being the minimal amount of steps needed to hatch.
- If you want to give the species Pokerus, you can do so by checking the Infected box. Uncheck the Cured checkbox, then below the Cured checkbox, set d: to the number of days before the species is cured, 2 being the max amount of time spent infected and 0 is cured.
- If you want to change the region of the species, you can do so by first selecting the 3DS Region, then change the Country, then the Sub Region.
On the Met tab:
- If you want to change the game where you caught the species, select a new game from the Origin Game dropdown.
- The species must exist in the new Origin Game or it will fail legal checks. (E.g. Rowlet in Pokemon X will fail because Rowlet did not exist on Pokemon X)
- If you want to change the Met Location where you caught the species, select a new Met Location from the dropdown.
- The species must be able to be obtained at the met location, or it will fail legal checks.
- You can press and hold CTRL and click on the word Met Location to have Pkhex suggest a Met Location.
- If it cannot suggest a Met Location, and the species is capable of breeding, check As Egg and try to have Pkhex suggest a Met Location again.
- If you still cannot find a legal Met Location, look on Bulbapedia and see where to obtain the species in the Game Location section of that species.
- If you want to change the Met Level, type in a new Met Level. It ranges from 1 to 100, 100 being the max level.
- The species must be obtainable at that level at the desired Met Location or it will fail legal checks.
- Species that have the As Egg checked must have a Met Level of 1. This will be filled in for you if you have Pkhex suggest a Met Location.
- If you want to change the Met Date, you can do so by typing in a new date or clicking on the calendar icon in that box and clicking on a new date.
- You cannot set the date in the future or it will fail legal checks.
- You cannot set the date before the game was released or it will fail legal checks.
- If the species was obtained via an Event or Mystery Gift, you must have Fateful Encounter checked and the matching event in Met Location. You will need to look up this information on bulbapedia.
- You can also click Tools>Data>Mystery Gift Database. Search for the specific event species you want and right click and click view. It will show up on the left side of the main window.
On the Stats tab:
- If you want to change your species IVs or EVs, you can do so by typing in a new value. IVs range from 1 to 31 and EVs range from 0 to 252. The Max amount of Total EVs you can have is 510. Every 4 EV gives you one point of stat.
- Press and hold CTRL and click on the box for IVs for the stat you want to Hyper Train.
- If you fail legal checks, you may not be able to Hyper Train the stat. Press and hold CTRL and click on the box for IVs to undo Hyper Train.
- If you want to change your Hidden Power Type, you can do so by first, maxing your IVs, then selecting a new Hidden Power Type from the dropdown.
On the Attacks tab:
- If you want to change the moves your species has learned, you can do so by picking a new move from the dropdown.
- Legal Moves have a green background in the dropdown. Illegal moves will have a white background in the dropdown.
- You can quickly max PP Ups by pressing and holding ALT and clicking on the word PP Ups or set them to min by holding CTRL instead.
- Press and hold CTRL and click on the word Current Moves to have Pkhex suggest Current Moves.
- If the species fails legal checks, mark the species As Egg and suggest a new Met Location and that should fix the legal check.
- Relearn moves are necessary for legal checks on species marked As Egg. They should be none if the species is not marked As Egg.
- Press and hold CTRL and click on the word Relearn Moves to have Pkhex suggest Relearn Moves.
- It may be necessary to have Pkhex suggest Relearn Moves if it fails legal checks on species marked As Egg.
On the OT/Misc tab:
- If you want to change the TID and/or SID, type in a new value.
- TID is Trainer ID and SID is Secret ID. These are used to determine if you are the original trainer who caught the species.
- If you want to be able to change the nickname of the species in-game, you must set these values to match your IDs.
- You can obtain these IDs by editting a species you caught in either PKSM or Pkhex.
- In Pkhex, you can also click the Trainer Info button below the boxes.
- You can press and hold CTRL and click on the word OT in the Trainer Information section to autofill your TID, SID, and OT from your Main file.
- If you want to change the Original Trainer Name, you can do so by typing in a new name in the OT box.
- You can change gender by clicking on the gender symbel to the right of the OT box.
- If you want to change the Latest Handler, you can do so by typing in a new name in the OT box for Latest (not OT) Handler.
- It may be necessary to change the Original Trainer Name and Latest Handlers to names that do not match if the pokemon was obtained in another Origin Game.
- Pokemon obtained from events should not have their Original Trainer Name changed or you will fail legal checks.
- If you want to give your species Ribbons, Metals, or change its memories, you can do so by clicking on their respective buttons.
- You may fail legal checks if you give Ribbons or Metals it cannot obtain legitimately.
- You can change the markings the species has by clicking on any of the markings. The bottom 5 are the only ones you will be able to change.
- The Pentagon marking means the species has Max EVs.
- The Star marking means the species is shiny.
Once you are done making changes, be sure to legal check your pokemon. You can do so by clicking on the or icons as shown below
- Pressing and holding CTRL when clicking on the or icons will give you more details on the legality of the pokemon.
A means the pokemon has passed all legal checks and can be used in online battles and trades.
A means the pokemon has failed some legal checks and needs to be fixed before they can be used in online battles and trades.
If you do so anyways, you will get banned.
Once you are satisfied, be sure to save the pokemon by clicking File>Save PKM. Give it a name and press save. If you are going to save changes in batch, you can move the pokemon back into the box as shown below, then clicking Tools>Data>Dump Boxes, then click Yes.
Once you have saved, you will need to inject them into your game using servepkx. Continue at A2 here.